Sunday, September 7, 2008

Al-hum-ni

Gutten Tag!

Wie gehts?

So. This past weekend, (technically, now, since i'm still there...) I was up at Kamp Kanawana for the Alumni weekend. It was great times.
Showed up friday night, after an absurdly tight drive up. Five decent sized people in one not-so-decent-sized civic. Made for good times. Met up with some staff, went for drinks in Sauveur. Nothing fancy.
The next morning was strange. I have spent fifteen summers going to this place. It's my home, without a doubt, and I love Kanawana with all my heart. But I rolled in well after dark, and went right from the car, to the cabin, and slept. (I was DD, dont worry.) When i woke up, i was looking out at a comfortingly familiar sight gone wrong.
The colors were changing.
That's something I've only really seen once before, up here at kamp, but when I was much younger. This place is always so full of life; the air radiates with energy. Not long after the sun rises, the lush green forests are filled with the sounds of kids and laughter, accompanied by the whisper of a cool breeze whisking through White Birch and Maple. It's gorgeous beyond description up here.
But now, it feels off, feels different. It's like Kamp is letting out a long, slow sigh, winding down after another long summer (115, to be precise, I thank you.) The place is quiet, and i dont like it. I miss junior boys, with their shit stained underpants, senior girls with their obnoxious cheering. It's like a battery without a charge; It looks the same on the outside, but when held in your palm, it feels different.
I realised somthing this morning, while sitting down on the docks, smoking a cigarette and nursing a hangover, somthing that broke my dour mood a little. Kanawana has always been this bubble world to me. You appear in this magical little world, tucked in behind a mountain, and are overwhelmed with the life and love. And then you leave - and that's that. I've never realised that this place has it's own life outside of the summer. I know this sounds idiotic, but it fits a little better into the cycle of things now.

God, i love this place.

Anyways, enough waxing poetic for a while.

I should also be found wanting if i were to neglect the absurd ammount of drinking done last night. If you could only see how many bottles of liquor, beer, and wine we've got, you'd probably ask yourself how the fuck we fit all of it into us. Us Kanawanians are a resourceful bunch, trust me. We dont just find the way, we find the will too. It was great; sleeping on rafters, 'chilling' in the freezer, making bacon, cavorting in the woods, and just being merry. I'm glad i came.

So. I cant drop any beats for now, since i dont have any of my music here, not my computer. Next post, soon to come.

Hold it down, suckers.

No comments: