Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Magnifying Glass

So, considering how this is supposed to be me taking a good look at leisure, and how i spend my time in leisure, i figure i should, at least once throughout this here shindig, take a straight up, no bloodclat, look at how i'm spending my time.

I chose the past few days as my subject of reference for a couple of reasons. first, i've got nothing to do, so i might as well. Secondly, i've been doing so goddamn little with my time, even i want to know exactly what i have done. I mean, i say i'm doing nothing, but i'm clearly not sitting in my room, staring at the wall, letting spittle build in the crook of my mouth until it dribbles down my chin. On to my shirt even.

Well, at least i hope not. Anyways, here we go.

First things first; i'm a gamer. And a huge techie. but a gamer first and foremost. Needless to say, that's been taking up a great deal of my time. To me, i'd have to say the concept of Leisure as Flow for sure applies to this; i'm playing games for six hours, straight, only broken out of my reverie by a painful urge to heed to the calls of nature. Try and tell me that's not a textbook example of "flow". Upon closer thought, it's true. I dont play games that are too hard or to easy, too fast paced or too slow, because they dont match my skill or interest levels. I've spent enough time gaming to know my niche, so i usually hit flow fairly fast. I'm going to have to allocate a good 20-25 hours of gaming out of 96. (Dont hate me for who i am...)

Next most frequent? This is a toughie. I'm going to have to say arbitrairily that it's socializing. This means many things, sure. Going downtown, cooking dinner, working out, playing games, whatever it may be. But i do feel as though, for myself, that the activities, save mabye cooking, are ones i do to be with people. It's my primary objective. That, to me, brings and represents, *ahem*, "...a state of mind, freely chosen, that results in intrinsic feelings of happyness, satisfaction, pleasure, and/or enjoyment." (Steven Henle, Sep. 16, 2008, AHSC260/01). I'm gonna pin a good 20-25 hours on the grapevine factor.

The remainder of time spent went towards less noteworthy stuff. Like, say, sleep. Or hygene. And other such. I'd allocate 40 hours for said peripherals.

But where, you ask, have the last five some-odd hours gone? Limbo perhaps?

...

I was hoping you could tell me....(and in case you didn't notice, that was a quote, up there. That one's for you two. :D )

No comments: