Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Blog Summary - oct 28

Though technically my first written synopsis, I have been keeping an eye on my trends in leisure throughout this blog, and there are a few outstanding points. First and foremost, nature is prevalent in my activities. Though there are instances otherwise, being outside, getting fresh air, and generally being active, are staples to my recorded leisure. Be it Capture the flag or gardening, the majority of the time, leisure goes hand in hand with nature for me. Personally, I’d like to entertain the belief that I use leisure as an enabler to find myself in the outdoors, as compared to nature being criteria for my leisure activities. I’ve taken that stand because I still do a lot of other, non nature oriented leisure activities; like, for example, gaming. I’ll sit on my ass, smoke a joint, and play videogames with friends for hours on end locked up in my apartment. I’m also a big scene freak when it comes to music, which often finds me holed up in dark, smoky rooms with obnoxious, gritty electronic beats saturating the atmosphere. Not exactly a natural milieu. On the whole, however, regardless of what I’m doing, either as a guide during the summers, paid with responsibilities, or running through the woods like an idiot with friends for shits and giggles, I have fun in the woods, even if it’s mundane work like raking.
Another outstanding set of trends that I have noticed on a personal level are my tendencies towards purple, or deviant leisure. There are some things I’ve mentioned in my blog, like for example, my little shenanigans with the saran wrap, but there are also many things I have pointedly neglected to mention on my blog. Things such as graffiti, or drug use are something that I’m not comfortable going into detail about, though I will go so far as to mention that some such activities tend to be prevalent in my leisure. Those, I see as accessories to leisure, save maybe with graffiti. Graffiti is a draw for me because of the rush, the risk. That dopamine release associated with adrenaline keeps me coming back, so in that case, the deviant nature of the activity is the driving force. But in essentially all other cases, my leisure is accentuated by such deviant tendencies.
I’d say the biggest thing I’ve gained from the blogging process is a critical view on why I do what I do in leisure, as well as the subjective attitude that requires. Also noteworthy is the venue for expression blogging has given me; I find I enjoy the expression of my thoughts quite a bit.

2 comments:

Rory Stewart said...

Hey Ian I'm writing this here cus I know you'll check it cus the prof well put your mark here. I can't make it to class today but I have an Idea for the project. I was thinking a program for people with special needs higher functioning autism n downs n frag X n fetal alchi n such. age range 21-32. Setting: social club /rec facility wit access to gym or field. room for a and c n what have you. Like a summer camp during the year. Hope you check this and see ya next week. Cheers RORY

Jessica A said...

Good start. You have expressed ideas or leisure interests that you have but they should be connected to ideas of leisure education. 6.5/10